The more people there are, the greater demand there is…on everything; goods, services and, yes, energy. Businesses have to keep up and in 2017/18 the amount of energy used in the UK grew by 1.1 per cent; the highest amount of energy since 2013. The Government stats are in and the UK’s top 10 biggest business energy consumers are:
- Commercial and miscellaneous services – 14,575 ktoe
- Public administration – 5,647 ktoe
- Manufacturing and industrial services – 3,774 ktoe
- Chemical manufacturing – 3,668 ktoe
- Food, drink and tobacco manufacturing – 3,110 ktoe
- Mineral products manufacturing – 2,689 ktoe
- Printing and publishing – 1,890 ktoe
- Agriculture – 1,584 ktoe
- Mechanical engineering – 1,567 ktoe
- Iron, steel and metal manufacturing – 1,507 ktoe
And here’s where it was used:
- Transport – 40 per cent
- Domestic – 29 per cent
- Industry – 16 per cent
- Services – 15 per cent
Where does your business sit in the stats? And are you using more energy to meet service/industry demand?
The good news is that although energy consumption is on the rise (due to an increase in population), consumption of natural gas grew by 1.6 mtoe (million tonnes of oil equivalent) and the consumption of bioenergy continues to increase. The consumption of natural gas has also increased more than tenfold from 3,662 ktoe in 1970 to 43,787 ktoe in 2018.
As business owners it’s important o do what we can to mitigate our impact on the environment. For all your energy related questions, feel free to contact the CH Systems team on 0208 302 8149 or email@example.com.