Did you read about the family that ended up with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty boiler at a farmhouse in Morriston, Swansea? – reported by bbc.co.uk on March 8, 2013.
An elderly couple and a 16-year-old boy were given oxygen therapy at the scene by fire crew personnel before the ambulance arrived to shift the victims off to hospital for proper evaluation. The three are okay but two cats that were present on the property died from gas inhalation.
A spokeswoman for the injured parties has revealed that the injured parties had previously reported sickness, now believed to have been caused by carbon monoxide poisoning.
Fire officer Alan Sherman, who attended the incident, said: “Faulty appliances can have extremely serious consequences as this incident shows.”
The moral of the story is to ENSURE THAT YOUR HEATING APPLIANCES ARE MAINTAINED!
The reported incident was domestic in nature but had the fault been with an extensive commercial or industrial boiler system – the kind used in hospitals, restaurants, police stations or hotels – the consequences would have been horribly severe. Rather than three people with carbon monoxide poisoning, there could have been hundreds… thousands even.
If you are the manager of a large heating system, make sure that boilers are maintained yearly; your local Commercial Boiler Service will do the job for you. And if you notice repeated incidences of unexplained illness or strange smells, do not hesitate to call the professionals. Rather safe than sorry!